Thursday, March 29, 2007

Too Much Information

Even the cats are goners.

I've been obsessively surfing for hours. This happens to me pretty regularly, oh...like every day. There is just too much information on the web. My brain feels like it's about to enter the beginning stages of spontaneous combustion. The worst thing about this, is I want to see it ALL. I want to learn new things and see things I haven't seen before. I want to hear every opinion, read ALL of the web logs, see all of the videos and there is just no conceivable way that will EVER happen.
We're in an age of information overload. And that's another thing....some of what I read is fact, some is fiction, some is fiction disguised as fact. I cannot possibly rightly discern all of it.

Now this sounds like a mentally stressful dilemma, but I'm finding that it's more addictive than stressful. However, this may cause some stress when I don't cook, or the dishes pile to the ceiling, or my mother doesn't hear from me for a month.

I don't know whether it's good or bad, but my partner is also glued to the internet. I remember my parents being glued to the television, and I thought that was so lame when I was a kid. They would sit and watch that screen endlessly, as the world poured in pre-scripted rubbish and I thought their minds must be turning to jelly. I saw it as such a passive thing, allowing information and entertainment to be thrust at you, with no opportunity for you to have a second side to the conversation. Heh.....there WAS NO conversation.

Now with all the interactivity of the web, I have the opposite problem. Between assorted forums, web log comment logs, blogs, vlogs, twitters, MMOs, gaming communities, photo sharing sites, instant messengers, social bookmarking, etc., etc., etc., ad infinitum, I have way too MUCH interactivity. There is no way to "do it all," and you're left feeling like you just MIGHT be missing out on something that is going on somewhere.

I surmise that a person with attention deficit disorder might THRIVE in such an environment. Well, either that, or they'd go completely and irrevocably insane. I probably fall into the ADD catergory AND the teetering on the brink of insanity one, at any given point.

So what is a person to do with this much information, misinformation, and communication as close as their fingertips?

I'll be honest with you. I'm not so sure that the internet is making addicts as much as it is attracting those that already have addictive and/or obsessive compulsive natures. I, for one, have some pretty obvious psychiatric diagnoses that would lend themselves to web-entrapment for SURE. And while I don't want to just be making weak excuses....there are far worse things I could be doing with my time that would be more detrimental to myself and my family.

So, alright....this topic has been re-hashed forever and ever. I've no interest in the debate about it really, other than the question I personally have and that is; how can I get over the feeling that if I'm NOT online....I'm missing something? Because the fact of the matter is....I AM missing something! There is new information being made available every second. And I just KNOW that I'm going to be the last person to hear about it, read about it, chat about it, blog about it.....

ARGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!

Oh nevermind....I'll just go take my prescribed psychiatric therapeutic meds and carry on.

~image from http://flickr.com/photos/vickispix/

3 comments:

  1. Oh, come on, I could stop surfing anytime I want! That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

    Do you ever get back from a trip and the first thing you want to do is... what? Check your email of course!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, david, you sound just like me! I can stop anytime I want. I just don't WANT to, damn it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. *cackling maniacally* Oh, my!!! I wandered over from MyClipmarks
    and met a fellow information junkie!! I'm so jazzed. Stop by some time!

    ReplyDelete